As photographer and a lover of local history, it’s a joy to spend a day wandering around the market town of Macroom in mid Cork.
Magh Cromtha; as gaeilge, meaning the “Hilly Plain”, the town is split in two by a ten arch bridge over the river Sullane.
The castle in the centre of the town, testifies to a strong ascendency history and an equally militant local population. In 1620 a market house was built to the east of and facing the castle and Macroom became one of the earliest milling centres at the end of the 1600’s.
A British Admiral and father of William Penn, after whom the state of Pennsylvania is named, controlled the castle for a period. Penn lived for short periods in the castle during his childhood.
The area surrounding Macroom is rich in megalithic monuments and early Christian holy wells, churches and sacred sites associated with ancient visionaries and healers